The annual RILA awards process provides the opportunity for special recognition of the accomplishments, service, and commitment of trustees, librarians, and others. The RILA Executive Board encourages you to nominate a deserving colleague or associate for this year’s awards.
This year’s nominations are due no later than May 9, 2014. Nomination letters should be emailed to RILA Awards Committee Chair and RILA Past President, Eileen Dyer, email@example.com
Criteria for Trustee of the Year Award
Any trustee of any library who has served on his/her board for at least three years is eligible for this award. These are suggested guidelines, but by no means the only ones, upon which a nomination may be made:
• Nominee worked in a readily identifiable way to develop/improve library service to a community, or to a specific segment within the community.
• Nominee successfully lobbied for increased funding and/or resources for his/her library.
• Nominee fashioned a plan that successfully enhanced the library’s role in the community.
• Nominee was instrumental in networking with trustees of other libraries to foster cooperative planning or activities.
Criteria for Outstanding Librarian Award
This award honors the career accomplishments of a librarian who has demonstrated an outstanding record of service to both his/her library and to the library profession. The nominee must be a member of the Rhode Island Library Association. Guidelines for nomination include:
• Development of outstanding service in (a) field(s) of expertise, e.g. children’s, administrative, technical.
• Involvement in statewide library activities.
• Record of professional library leadership.
• Encouragement of community/institutional support for library.
Criteria for Citation of Merit and or Meritorious Friends of the Library Award(s)
This award is conferred upon citizens who are neither librarians nor library trustees who have made outstanding contributions to quality library service. This award may be given to an individual or group.
The RILA Executive Board will determine award recipients based on the letters of recommendation. The Board reserves the right not to present these awards in any given year.